-->

Friday, October 1, 2010

X'clusive Interview With Indian Solid Rock Defender Nirmal Chettri

Chettri was born in Melli Bazaar (border between WB & Sikkim). He is the youngest in the Family with an elder brother & four sisters. Chettri is currently playing for Kolkata Giants East Bengal & been playing for the National Team from the beginning of U-14, U-17 & U-19 respectively & now he is the current member of U-23 National Team.


1- When did you start playing football?
Chettri: I started playing Football at the age of 9, when I was in my childhood I used to play Football for fun with my friends. My real life starts when I got selected in Namchi Sports Hostel, in a Scheme called "SEARCH FOR MORE BHAICHUNGS" in 2000.

2. Who are the people who supported you from the beginning of your career?
Chettri: First of all my mom who stood behind me in my every problems & pushed e in every difficulties & obviously my family members, my Academy coaches Hangu Norden, Lt Solomon Karthak & Suren Chettri, former Air India Coach Mr Bimal Ghosh, former East Bengal coach Stanely Rosario & last but not least the National Team Coach Mr Colintoal, my teammates of Academy, Air India, East Bengal & the National Team.

3. Who are the Sports persons & Teams that you admire a lot?
Chettri: Sports Persons I admire a lot is Rio Ferdinand & Bhaichung Bhutia & about the team is non other than Manchester Utd. I'm a die hard fan as well as follower of Red Devil.

4. What is your Favorite Food?
Chettri: Kheer which is made by my mom & I'm not so choosy about the foods.

5. What is your favourite kind of Music?
Chettri: I love to hear music when i am traveling. I like western hip-hop & nepali music which touches My soul.

6. Can you share some of your happiest moments..?
Chettri: Yeah sure! first when I wore National Team jersey & when we (Namchi Sports Hostel) reached the final of U-14 Subroto Mukherjee Cup at Delhi in 2002 as well as my first International Tournaments in South Korea called Interreligious Peace Sports Festival (IPSF) with Namchi Sports Hostel in 2004 which I can't forget in my lifetime.

7. So what about your saddest moments?
Chettri: Losing with Mohan Bagan very badly in I-League last year though I scored & losing my mom which is a nightmare for me.

8. Your Football related Goals?
Chettri: Yeah I have lots of plans to be fulfilled. First of all I am looking to have My Academy in memory of my mom in my hometown.

9. Favourite Sport other than Football?
Chettri: I keep interest in all indoor games i.e. Table Tennis & Badminton.

10. What do you do when you are out of football?
Chettri: I just love to go for drive & movie with my mates. Sometimes hanging with my friends in Disco.

11. Your best friends that play in the East Bengal Team or from your academy?
Chettri: I love my teammates of both (East Bengal & Academy). But my real teammates is Sanju Pradhan, with whom I started my carrer from Academy till East Bengal.

12. Your favourite place where you dream to visit?
Chettri: I really want to visit Old Trafford (Home of Manchester Utd).

13. Who do you give credit and seek guidance for making your football carrer?
Chettri: First of all my Family, my coaches(with whom I work), my teammates (Air India,East Bengal & The National Team), my academy mates & the people of my hometown, teachers of my schools (Melli, Namchi Sr Sec School & West Point in Gangtok), my seniors and Mr. Karma Yougall (Ex Joint Director, Deptt. of Sports & Youth Affairs, Govt of Sikkim) and last but not least Mr. P.S. Tamang (Former Sports Minister) who supported me a lot from my academy Days.

14. What did you think is your strength & weakness as a player?
Chettri: I'm a versatile player & I dont believe in one strength. I know I can fulfill any places where the coaches wants me to play. I'm a sraight forward player & I never look back when it comes to enter in the fields. About my weakness I know no one is perfect. I know I've lots of work to hide my weakness. I trust myself & hope I'll be better this year.

15. About Your Journey from Scoring Striker to a Sensible defender?
Chettri: Actually I was born as a striker. Even I got selected as a striker in Namchi Sports Hostel. My position changed when we were playing in Mini SARCC Tournament at Gangtok in 2006 when one of my friend got injured playing in his village. So we didn't had any alternates & my coach asked me to fulfill his place because of my leadership in the field and the mean time our team clicked and reached the final though we lost to Nepal (via Tie-Breaker). After the successful tournament we got entry to play in All India Governor's Gold Cup at Gangtok. From where me & Sanju Pradhan were picked by Mumbai Gaints Air India.

Achievements Of Chettri:
2000: Joined Namchi Sports Hostel.
2001-04: Winners of U-14 Sikkim League.
Represent Namchi Sports Hostel in U-14 Subroto Cup.
Got National Talent Scholarships for 3 consecutive years.
2002: Reached Final of U-14 Subroto Cup & Lost to Mizoram (2-1)
Attend U-14 National Camp at Jameshdpur.
2003: Represent NSH in Chief Minnister Gol Cup at Namchi.
2004: Represent Namchi Sports Hostel in IPSF at South Korea.
Winners of All India Rural Sports Festival at Siliguri.
2005: Represent U-17 India in Exposure Trip to Portugal.
2006: Shifted to Sports Academy of Sikkim,Gangtok
Represent SAS in Mini SARCC at Gangtok.
SAS in Governors' Gold Cup.
Siikim Team in Santosh Trophy at Gurgoan,Haryana.
Signed for Air India Mumbai
2007: Represent U-19 National Team in Germany.
Attained Senior National Camp for AFC Challange & SAFF Championship at Goa.
2008: Signed for Renowned Club East Bengal.
Represent Sikkim Team in Santosh Trophy at Chennai.
2009: Represent East Bengal Team in Trips to Myanmar
Represent U-23 National Team in SAFF Championship at Bangladesh & AFC Challange Cup at Sri Lanka.
Members of Winning U-23 National Team in SAFF Championship at Bangladesh.
Members of East Bengal Team which won 12th Federation Cup at Guwahati.
2010: Represent East Bengal Team in AFC Cup at Syria,Kuwait & Lebanon.
Leading Sikkim team in Santosh Trophy at Calcutta.

As told by: Nirmal Chettri

No comments:

Categories

Achievements (1) Admin (1) Admission (2) Article (48) Award (2) Biography (1) Child (6) Colleges (3) Culture (2) Darjeeling (1) Destruction (1) Drugs (2) Education (27) Environment (2) Events (7) Exam (3) God (4) India (9) Inspiration (13) Internet (6) Interview (1) Issue (2) Literature (2) NEstd (8) NewAge (1) News (33) Schools (7) Science (1) Sikkim (53) Sports (7) Students (46) Teacher (6) Technology (5) Top 5 (5) UNICEF (1) Unity (1) Village (1) Women (2)